Site Classification: Transferred
Site Type/Program: FUDS
Location: The former Pinecastle Army Airfield consisted of 2,216 acres. Acquisition began in 1942 and the entire site was transferred to the City of Orlando in 1947. Between 1951 and 1969, the U.S. reacquired Pinecastle Army Airfield and expanded the site to 4,426.40 acres for use as Pinecastle Air Force Base. The base was renamed McCoy Air Force Base in 1958. A major portion of the site is currently owned by the city of Orlando and used for the Orlando International Airport. The portion of the site transferred to private individuals and companies is being used for aviation related activities in support of the airport. The US Navy controls a part of the site for an administrative and housing area.
|Back to Search Map|